Wednesday, December 30, 2009

"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."

I finished "Atlas Shrugged" early this morning at 2:30 am. This is the best book I have ever read. I want to read it again as I am sure I missed a lot, but I dread the thought of trying to read it again, it took me forever (6 weeks). There are a few key chapters I will definitely read again. In an earlier blog post I titled "Who is John Galt" I wrote a quote I found on line from John Galt the main hero in the book, “I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.” When I first wrote this I did not understand it or the significance of it, also, it is an oath taken by the characters in the book. I thought maybe I should not put it in as it sounds like I am selfish not willing to live for another man or make sacrifices for society. However after ready the book, I understand the content and this is definitely my belief. I can relate to every section of the book, there is nothing I disagree with. I have a personal story that matches every section of the book, I just did not know the significance of it till now and how to put all the experiences of the pieces of my life together. Also I am amazed at how many parts of this book I have heard from other people. I have started to ask them if they have read "Atlas Shrugged" and so far most people I have asked, which I have great respect for, have not read the book. This makes this book even more increadable to me.

 I am so glad that I started this blog, for if it were not for it, I would not have been direct to this book and I would not have read it.

2010 is going to be an incredible year as I will continue to live by the oath in the title; it will just be more focused and with more purpose than it has been in the last few years. This book has helped me refocus on what I believed all my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment